Sunday, December 30, 2007

It's nostalgic time of year

Talking to Jesse on the phone, we agreed that this Christmas season lacked the usual punctuation.
On boxing day, I was writing about painting in Calgary for an upcoming project, here's an excerpt:

"I could gauge in each of those books the differences in size, quality of photography, printing and paper, in the reproductions of each painting. I could find thousands of bits of information, all of them one step or more from what I was all the while trying to make in my studio.
I could scream that my work could not be made in a vacuum and needed context and words of its own, all the while criticism and the paintings it spoke of were flattened against the same page. If I tried to hold the photo closer, the words got bigger too. All the while I knew, a least academically, that there was another experience suggested by what I was doing. I could have been looking at the actual painting on a wall, dividing a painting from the words written about it. I could have all the abundance a newly-booming city provided except what was most particular about painting, the autographic."

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all

No comments: